Sunday, September 28, 2008

Button Packs!


So buttons are the newest addition to my shop. After many many years (I'm talking since high school here! Yeah, that long) of wanting a 1" button machine, I finally decided last month that I'd been a good little girl, and that I deserved to use a chunk of my savings and invest in a new machine. "It will completely pay for itself after time" I rationalized to myself. So I jumped on the good old inter-web and found the best deal I could, which happened to be on ebay (surprise!). You would not believe how excited I was. I waited by the mailbox daily, and it finally showed up in all its 9-pound glory (just like a little baby, awww!), with parts enough to make 1000 1" buttons! I absolutely love my button machine, and I've been dutifully pumping out buttons ever since. Again, it's a repetitive and calming sort of action, which I can appreciate after a long day of working at my repetitive but not so calming job.

Anyway, the buttons are a breeze to make, but what's a little more difficult for me is coming up with designs, especially on my antiquated computer program (anyone else still using Microsoft PictureIt! ? No, just me? *sigh*). But I've managed to come up with a few Browncoaty ideas that have not been half bad, imho. (ie the above six buttons which can be found in my shop here). And I think that I've still got a few good ideas coming along, just in time for the holiday season (hey, buttons make great stocking-stuffers, am I right?).

So after designing and making the buttons, I'd been struggling with how to package them. And these little babies are what I came up with: they're kind of like matchbooks, but instead of matches, it's a page full of buttons! Yay! Quite ingenious, if I do say so myself. But I can't take all the credit; I actually got the idea from a pack of MOO stickers that I bought awhile back! And even more marvelous was the fact that I actually figured out how to fold the paper in just the right way on my first try.


So after pinning the pins, folding the holder, and stapling them both together (careful, make sure that it's straight!) I take out my trusty custom-made rubber stamps (thank you terbearco) and stamp them all over with Serenity and Firefly and Ma Cobb's Hat Shoppe. And Ta-Da! There it is folks: the newest addition to Ma Cobb's Hat Shoppe! Button Packs! Please enjoy!

No comments: